VIKAMINE: Subgroup Discovery and Analytics
VIKAMINE - An extensible open-source rich-client environment and platform for subgroup discovery and analytics.
Software Releases/Code: VIKAMINE@Sourceforge (License: GNU LGPL)
The R subgroup package (rsubgroup) provides a wrapper around the VIKAMINE core.
VIKAMINE is an integrated rich-client environment for subgroup discovery and analytics.
The acronym VIKAMINE stands for
- Analytics, and
- MINing Environment.
VIKAMINE features several powerful and intuitive visualizations complemented by fast automatic mining methods.
VIKAMINE is an open-source project hosted at Sourceforge, directed by Martin Atzmueller and Florian Lemmerich.
The VIKAMINE software is released under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), see the GNU licenses here for more information.
The VIKAMINE system has been sucessfully applied in several projects by domain specialists, for example,
- visual analytics, by applying powerful, intuitive and simple to use visualizations,
- knowledge discovery, by mining interesting subgroups for selected target parameters,
- knowledge refinement, by mining deviating/interesting subgroups that are applied for tuning the knowledge base, or for
- quality control, by tracing quality parameters and mining explaining reasons for quality variations.
For several application examples, see Publications
If you have a question concerning VIKAMINE please let us know and send us an e-mail: email@example.com
We will then get back to you shortly.
The source code of VIKAMINE is available in the SVN repository on the sourceforge project website,
see VIKAMINE SVN..
The current release for VIKAMINE can be found on the sourceforge project page which
is located here.
License: VIKAMINE is licensed under the GNU Library or Lesser General Public License (LGPL).
For further information on the LGPL we refer to the homepage of the Free Software Foundation.
- You can find a short tutorial on using VIKAMINE here.
- A quickstart screencast is available here
Furthermore, you might want to have a look at the publications below, especially on the paper VIKAMINE - Open-Source Subgroup Discovery, Pattern Mining, and Analytics.
Selected publications about VIKAMINE:
- Atzmueller, M.; Lemmerich, F. VIKAMINE - Open-Source Subgroup Discovery, Pattern Mining, and Analytics. Proceedings of the European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Springer, Heidelberg, 2012.
- Atzmueller, M., Knowledge-Intensive Subgroup Mining, Diski 307, March 2007, IOS Press, 214 pp., ISBN: 978-1-58603-726-0, 2007
- Atzmueller, M.; Puppe, F. Semi-Automatic Visual Subgroup Mining using VIKAMINE ,
Journal of Universal Computer Science (JUCS), Special Issue on Visual Data Mining, 11 (11), pp. 1752-1765, 2005
- Atzmueller, M.; Lemmerich, F. Fast Subgroup Discovery for Continuous Target Concepts, Proc. 18th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (ISMIS), 2009
- Atzmueller, M.; Puppe, F.; Buscher, H.-P. Exploiting Background Knowledge for Knowledge-Intensive Subgroup Discovery ,
Proceedings of the 19th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-05),
pp. 647-652, 2005
- Atzmueller, M.; Baumeister, J.; Hemsing, A.: Richter E. J.; Puppe, F. Subgroup Mining for Interactive Knowledge Refinement ,
Proceedings of the10th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIME 05),LNAI 3581, pp. 453-462, 2005
- Atzmueller, M.; Puppe, F.; Buscher, H.-P. Profiling Examiners using Intelligent Subgroup Mining ,
Proceedings of the 10th Workshop on Intelligent Data Analysis in Medicine and Pharmacology, pp. 46-51, 2005
Further selected publications about subgroup discovery:
- Atzmueller, M. Subgroup Discovery - Advanced Review. WIREs Data Mining Knowl Discov, 5:35-49, 2015.
- Atzmueller, M. Subgroup Discovery. Künstliche Intelligenz, 4:52--53, 2005.
- Martin Atzmueller and Frank Puppe. SD-Map - A Fast Algorithm for Exhaustive Subgroup Discovery. In: Knowledge Discovery in Databases: PKDD 2006, LNCS 4213, pp. 6-17, Springer Verlag, 2006.
Commercial support for VIKAMINE is provided by
Dr. Martin Atzmueller Intelligent System Analytics & Consulting (dramico.de)
dramico is a consulting company, focusing on Intelligent System Analytics, Business Intelligence and Data Science. dramico offers commercial support for the VIKAMINE system
and provides for factorized data mining and business intelligence solutions
from the initial idea to its implementation.